Sunday, April 11, 2010

Camping!

Camping was fun. I mean, I've only ever been on school camps or karate camps before - all of which were organised to the point of tedium. You know, it gets annoying when there's a planned activity for every single minute of your day. 

Not that I'm saying I don't like doing things when I'm camping - but the fact that school camps have activities that are compulsory just sucks. Karate camp, I actually didn't mind so much, because the activity was training - and I looked forward to that. But school was always some crappy, team-building thing. Snore.

Anyway, this camp was good. It was just a bunch of teenagers, and a lot of fun. Everyone brought stuff and we had everything we needed - which wasn't really good planning, but rather the fact that we had packed a million things and some of them came in handy.

We were in a national park that was right on the beach, which was awesome. Really nice to hear the waves while you're drifting off - kinda reminds me of home, in Cape Town.

We were there for about four nights, which was, in my opinion, the best amount of time. By the fourth night, I was totally ready to go home. It went nicely though. On the first two nights, we got really drunk. On the third night, we went to a restaurant in a nearby town (It was only about 20 minutes driving distance). And on the last night, we went to the nearby town again, to see a movie - Kick-Ass, which is absolutely AWESOME, btw.

Anyway, it was cool. I feel like it got me closer to my cousin, and a couple of her friends.

I spent the second night in one of the tents with the gay guy that she's friends with. No - not that kind of night, in case you're thinking that. He still doesn't know I'm gay, because I haven't told her (My cousin) yet. We talked tho. He's really cool, and not just because he's cute. (Although I'm not going to deny that that is a factor) And he just broke up with his boyfriend, so... yeah... maybe...

But, anyway, I had lots of fun. Although it was a bit weird dealing with people for that extended period of time. And speaking of that, I've developed a new drinking game:

The Socially Awkward Drinking Game!
Here are the rules:
1) If confronted by an awkward silence - take a swig of your drink.
2) If sitting in a group, and you have gone the last 3 minutes without so much as contributing one word - take a swig of your drink.
3) If someone tells an inside joke that you don't understand - take a swig of your drink.
4) If you tell a joke, and no one laughs - take a swig of your drink.
4a) If you end up being the only one laughing at your own joke - make that swig a double one.

I'm working on more rules, but I'll think about them later, next time I'm drinking in social situations. It's quite a nice game. You have to be socially awkward to play, but it works out well - the drunker you get (as a result of the game) the less awkward you become, hence the less you drink - so it definitely burns itself out.

Anyway, that's that. One more thing about camp - it helped me come to an important realisation:

I don't need to be here, in Aus, as desperately as I thought I did. I really wanted to study here and end up living here, but I've realised that that's just due to envy of my cousins life. And, even if I do end up living here, it definitely won't be like her life - she's got a pair of stable parents to back up, which I don't. 

But my parents aren't going to change, wherever I choose to be in the world. So, wherever I choose can be anyway - America, The UK, whatever. Sure, Aus may end up being the best - Like America but smarter, Like the UK but warmer and nicer. But, even if I do end up here, that shouldn't mean I shouldn't got to the other places, and spend time there.

Anyway, done blogging.

OB:
Spelling/Grammar/Clarity. I still play the socially awkward drinking game. I'm pretty much world champ, at this point.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to see you like the Royal National Park and Oz of course

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't the Royal National Park. Lol. Nice try tho. It was Booti Booti National Park. I love saying that name... =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, even Frank Zappa did as well (with a Middle Eastern twist - in the singular though)

    ReplyDelete